Monday, October 1, 2012

While some people play games for either entertainment, social, or even religious reasons, I play games purely for educational reasons. Now if any of you know me you going to say bullshit, but just hear me out. By playing Assassins Creed, I've learned about the Renaissance  and the history surrounding that time. By playing God of War, I've learned Greek Mythology. By playing Brain Age, I've learned that my brain can indeed improve and doesn't have to be that of a smoking chimpanzee with Alzheimer's, and a drug habit. By playing Grand Theft Auto I've learned not only how to drive, but how to parallel park and how to do the pit maneuver. By playing Super Smash Brothers I've learned just how bad-ass jigglypuff can be. By playing Dead Rising, I've learned how to survive in a mall filled with zombies. By playing Rainbow Six I've learned how advanced tactical room breaching maneuvers (something I use every day). By playing Left 4 Dead I've learned how much fun it is to shoot your own teammates. By playing Bully, I've learned, well you can guess from the title. By playing Portal I've learned how to solve complex trigonometric equations using the consistency of momentum (not really). By playing Gears of War I've learned just how cool it would be to put a 30 pound chainsaw on a gun. By playing Call of Duty I've learned that now Squad Tactics now if America is ever invaded I will be ready. By playing Half-Life I've learned, well actually I haven't learned any from playing Half-Life. By playing Halo I've learned how little kids sound when they're trying to sound tough and swear. By playing Fallout I've learned(ish) not to drink out of a toilet. By playing Skyrim, I've learned just how long my body can go without needing a bathroom break. By playing Resident Evil, I've learned how to barricade my self from zombies with chainsaws. By playing Guitar Hero I've learned that I should learn how to play the actual guitar. By seeing videos of me playing Rock Band, I've learned that, that last one wasn't true, and that I REALLY shouldn't sing when I'm drunk(or ever). By playing katamari damacy, I've learned just how weird Japanese people can get. By playing the Sims, I've learned that none of my life goals will ever work out. By playing Pokemon, I'm just kidding I don't play Pokemon, I'm not in 4th grade any more. By playing Hitman, I've learned that I might just actually have a career I could be good at. By playing Farcry2 I've learned just what malaria is. The list goes on and on. My point is that people who say that games are ruining today's youth I say, look at my list. Every skill I have today I've learned from a game. Now I ask the people who comment on this blog what game do you play and what have you learned from it.     

8 comments:

  1. I think the assignment wasn't taken seriously enough. I do not think the teacher would approve of the swearing and the part about you getting drunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you mean the professor?
      Also, how is this a constructive observation on account that, maybe I'm wrong, but the point of the assignment was to have some sort of open conversation, i.e. workshop, on other classmate's blogs, not to just add snarky remarks on what you think the "teacher" would prefer.

      Delete
    2. Yeah it's called a Professor. And do we even have the same professor? As long as it's good and we get alot of comments what does it matter? At least this one was about education, what's yours about? Pet Friendly dorms? Taking down that block on the wireless, that takes two seconds to put your password in?

      Delete
    3. I like what those two people above me said.

      Delete
  2. Interesting, but how do those skills translate into the real world. For example, parallel parking in GTA is far more different than parallel parking my GTI, or even a much larger truck. I think you have a good thesis but you need more arguments to back up your claim, cous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. none of those skills you have learned are gonna help you in real life. Who is going to teach you loyality respect courage etc. those dont come from a game. Much more usefull than all those you have listed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. I would say that by playing Total War, I've learned that pausing real life would be so great.

    ReplyDelete